In this issue of Back to Godhead, two articles deal with the history of the Hare Krsna movement. Because we are all spiritual beings with an eternal relationship with Krsna, or God, the essence of the Hare Krsna movement Krsna consciousness is eternal. Still, at certain points in history great spiritual leaders spread Krsna consciousness with such success that movements take shape.
We can trace the modern Hare Krsna movement back to Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the incarnation of Krsna who appeared in Bengal some five hundred years ago. Lord Caitanya introduced the chanting of Hare Krsna as the religion for the age, and He engaged His leading disciples in writing dozens of books detailing the philosophy of Krsna consciousness. Two of the most important authors were Rupa Gosvami and Sanatana Gosvami, whose stories appear in this issue.
Beginning in the late 1960s, His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada carried the teachings of Lord Caitanya and the Gosvamis around the world. Srila Prabhupada's life story is told in the Indian television series Abhay Charan, now on video. In this issue, we introduce you to Abhay Charan.
(Nagaraja Dasa, Editor)
• To help all people discern reality from illusion, spirit from matter, the eternal from the temporary.
• To expose the faults of materialism.
• To offer guidance in the Vedic techniques of spiritual life.
• To preserve and spread the Vedic culture.
• To celebrate the chanting of the holy names of God as taught by Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu.
• To help every living being remember and serve Sri Krsna, the Personality of Godhead.