When His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada incorporated the Hare Krsna movement in 1966, a friend suggested he call it The International Society for God Consciousness rather than The International Society for KrsnaConsciousness. But Srila Prabhupada wanted people to know that when he spoke of God, he meant a specific person: Lord Krsna.
In his lecture in this issue, Srila Prabhupada presents some arguments for accepting Krsna as God. When speaking with people who balked at the proposal that Krsna is God, Prabhupada would often challenge them to suggest someone else a suggestion that usually left them speechless. Prabhupada was sure that Krsna is God, and he dedicated his life to convincing others of that truth, with much success.
Lord Krsna has been worshiped as God for thousands of years. In this issue we visit the Krsna temple in Dvaraka, where Lord Krsna spent more than one hundred years during His presence on earth five thousand years ago.
Of course, you'll find Krsna mentioned throughout the magazine because, as our name implies, Back to Godhead is meant for redirecting our lives toward God: Lord Krsna.
• To help all people discern reality from illusion, spirit from matter, the eternal from the temporary.
• To expose the faults of materialism.
• To offer guidance in the Vedic techniques of spiritual life.
• To preserve and spread the Vedic culture.
• To celebrate the chanting of the holy names of God as taught by Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu.
• To help every living being remember and serve Sri Krsna, the Personality of Godhead.