Looking for Peace and Spirituality
I am a student of Rajshahi University and studying M.A. How can I live a peaceful and spiritual life? Please guide me.
Sri Madhab Saha,
OUR REPLY: Our minds are disturbed because they lack the right goal and direction in life. Lord Krsna says in Bhagavad-gita: "One who is not connected with the Supreme [in Krsna consciousness] can have neither transcendental intelligence nor a steady mind, without which there is no possibility of peace. And how can there be any happiness without peace?"[B.g. 2.66) Srila Prabhupada describes the peace formula in Bhagavad-gita 5.29 as simply this: "Lord krsna is the beneficiary in all human activities. Men should offer everything to the transcendental service of the Lord because He is the proprietor of all planets and the demigods there on. No one is greater than He …. This is the sense of Krsna consciousness and only in complete Krsna consciousness can one attain perfect peace." By making Lord Krsna as the goal of life, we can achieve the ultimate peace. The process of building our relationship
with Lord Krsna and then serving Him is Krsna consciousness or Bhakti yoga. It can be most easily done by chanting the names of the Lord: Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare.
Meet Your Meat Can you prove me scientifically how meat-eating affects the body?
OUR REPLY: When Vedic scriptures talk about restrictions, their verdict is already scientific. We may, however, refer to the findings of modern day scientists just to re-affirm ourselves. Following are some of the commonly known disadvantages of eating meat:
1. No fiber (leads to constipation).
2.No carbohydrates(no source of instant energy).
3. Too much protein that puts heavy load on body's metabolic system.
4. Loaded with cholesterol that gives us heart attack.
5. Flesh harbors deadly bacteria. Since flesh is an excellent insulator, not all microbes are killed by cooking. So you have deadly parasites feasting on our body.
6. Flesh is a diseaseconveying agent (a long recognized fact by the WHO).
7. Flesh foods contain the highest concentrations of environmental poisons.
8. Animals are raised on large quantities of antibiotics, hormones and other drugs – and we are the ultimate recipients of these substances.
9. In meat-eaters, the kidneys have to work three times as hard to eliminate poisonous nitrogen o us wastes. Any person who eats meat might want to reconsider whether his/her body wants to accept such dangerous & "manipulated" food! Scientists meanwhile are busy investigating more possible connections between meat-eating and diseases prevalent in human society like cancer, heart diseases, rheumatism etc. , to name a few.
For additional information, you may visit the following websites:http://news.bbc.co.ukl2l hi/healthl 4088824.stm,http://society.guardian.co.uk/caneer/ story/0,8150,1506801,OO.html,http://www.seienced aily.com/releases/ 2005/ll/051115173236.html
Back To Godhead is not responsible for the content of these sites. The replies to the letters were written by Nilesh Chandekar.