In his lecture opening this issue, Srila Prabhupada speaks on a verse from the Vedic scriptures that tells us that chanting the names of God is the only sure way to attain spiritual success in the current age. By chanting the Hare Krishna mantra, Prabhupada explains, we can transcend the influence of the material energy and come to realize God in His fullness.
When Prabhupada arrived in New York City in 1966, he soon attracted young people to the chanting, and at the end of the year, he and his students recorded what was most likely the first kirtana album in the West. In “A Spiritual Happening on the Lower East Side,” Satyaraja Dasa tells the story of how that album came to be.
• To help all people discern reality from illusion, spirit from matter, the eternal from the temporary.
• To expose the faults of materialism.
• To offer guidance in the Vedic techniques of spiritual life.
• To preserve and spread the Vedic culture.
• To celebrate the chanting of the holy names of God as taught by Lord Sri Caitanya M ahaprabhu.
• To help every living being remember and serve Sri Krishna, the Personality of Godhead.