With this issue of Back to Godhead we start a series of articles on the nine processes of bhakti-yoga, the yoga of connecting to God through service in devotion. Our first article in the series discusses hearing spiritual sound.
As with any endeavor, spiritual life begins with hearing. To make sure we head in the right direction, we need to hear from authoritative spiritual sources. Back to Godhead presents the philosophy and practices taught by Lord Krsna and the self-realized souls of the Vedic tradition. Our immediate authority is His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, founder of the Hare Krsna movement and this magazine.
Each issue of Back to Godhead opens with one of Srila Prabhupada's lectures. In this issue, Prabhupada encourages us to take seriously Lord Krsna's instructions on immortality. In "Srila Prabhupada Speaks Out" he shows the folly of thinking we are beyond the control of the laws of nature. And in "Qualified by Simplicity," a disciple recalls how Prabhupada cleared up a troubling doubt.
May the bhakti-yoga process of hearing from Srila Prabhupada enlighten and enliven you in your spiritual life.
• To help all people discern reality from illusion, spirit from matter, the eternal from the temporary.
• To expose the faults of materialism.
• To offer guidance in the Vedic techniques of spiritual life.
• To preserve and spread the Vedic culture.
• To celebrate the chanting of the holy names of God as taught by Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu.
• To help every living being remember and serve Sri Krsna, the Personality of Godhead.